Friday, April 13, 2007

The Countdown Begins!!!

Holy Cow!!! There are only 3 days to go! I have been working up to this for 5 months now. I have to be honest, I'm a bit nervous. Maybe I would be less so had I not gotten hurt, but it is not something I'm going to hide. The weather forecast doesn't help, either. Now, none of this is to dampen things at all. I know I will finish, that's not even in contention. It may take 7 hours and I may be coming in by myself, but I am finishing. I guess I'm a little worried about what I'll have to go through to get there. And, isn't that what it's all about anyway, the journey. OK, I'll stop right there, you don't need me philosophizing just yet. I haven't earned it. You better be ready for it on Tuesday, though.

None the less, I did 4.5 miles yesterday, my last real training run before the race. I'll run on sunday, but it's only 2.5 miles and it will be very slow, just to work out the nerves and to warm up the old bones. The run was good, the hip felt a lot better than it has lately, and the knee held up great. All this despite cold, rain, wind, and hail. Yep, I said hail. I could have taken it as a sign, but ask my wife, I'm pretty obtuse sometimes. I am stretching a lot lately! And really kind of obsessing about my food intake. Oh well, I'm not running as much, gotta channel the energy somewhere. Tonight is my last PT appointment(hopefully). I'll get some ice, some electro stimulation, some ultra sound, some massage, and some...stretching! I'm actually really looking forward to it. And then, tomorrow, I do absolutely nothing, within reason. Basically, that will consist of sitting on the couch, watching movies, eating, and sleeping. I might get up to walk to dogs once or twice. The idea is to conserve energy and rest. Also, tomorrow is the most important day for food and sleep, as that's what will be stored and carried into monday. Sunday's food won't be fully digested and spread to my muscles yet, and the sleep cycle is undoubtedly going to be interrupted by nerves sunday night, so saturday is uber important! Also, all that stuff you've heard about carb loading the night before is hogwash! If you eat a lot 12 hours before a race or so, your body will still be trying to digest which means blood and all-important oxygen won't be flowing to your muscles where you need it. Hence, a light meal on Sunday. Then I rise bright and early(well early anyway) to get downtown for my bus to the starting line by 7 AM. Then the fun begins!

How bout that total over there to the right! Well done, supporters, well done! Now, there is still time, so if you have any friends with extra in their piggy banks and extra in their hearts, let em know about us! But seriously, the support and outpouring of generosity has really moved me and I thank you all very much. Have a wonderful weekend!