Monday, February 5, 2007

Smile and Wave

Well, I did 15 miles. I don't know, it feels like a milestone. 14 didn't really phase me mentally, but 15 was definitely a hump. The run went pretty well. A lot of wind, but it is Boston. I used the run/walk technique, and as promised, I actually came in faster than normal. Also, my legs became fatigued much later than usual. It added a mental benefit as I could goal set to each walk break. So, I'll probably stick with it, maybe just tweak how I use it going forward. I did have my first injury scare. About mile 1o, the top of my right calf, and the bottom of the corresponding ham string seized up, and I actually thought it was my knee. Luckily, it was just a cramp that worked itself out after about a 1/2 a mile. But I tell ya, it was a very nervous 1/2 mile. What was really cool about the run was seeing a lot of people out even though it was 22(-7 with windchill). A lot of these people looked like they were training, which gave some feelings of solidarity.

Which leads me to a gripe I've been thinking about lately. Why can't people smile and wave, or at least give a head nod? When another runner passes me, I always try to acknowledge them with a wave, smile, or nod of the head. It's something I picked up cycling in New York. It's a show of solidarity and community, or I see it that way anyway. Maybe this is just in Boston, but everytime I do this, I maybe get a response 1 out of 5 times. What's up? Is it so much to respond to a fellow human being, heck some one who is engaged in the exact activity you are at the moment? Now, I'll stick to my guns and keep doing it. I just want more people to do likewise. When someone responds, it's a huge boost, helps me through that next mile a little bit. Anyway, if you're out on a run, give a wave and a smile. It'll do wonders for the person you direct it at, and you too!

As for the Super Bowl, well I wasn't really rooting for anyone. I guess I kind of leaned towards the underdog Bears, but not by much. I was however, rooting for a good game and great commercials. Unfortunately, I don't think we got either. Am I wrong here, did I overlook something? Let me know below.

And this week's scedule:


2/5-2/11
Mon- cross
Tue- 4 m run
W- 5 m run
Thu- 4 m run
Fri- rest
Sat- 7 m pace
Sun- 11 m run
Total Mileage- 31

It's a rest week, so a light schedule. Have a great week, everyone!



UPDATE:

I'm beginning to understand why Monday is a rest day, and why I have light weeks built in. My legs are jell-o today!!! Good thing I sit down all day:-)