So, did 4 miles yesterday and then 4 this morning(had to switch things around again this week due to scheduling, so 7 miles tomorrow). They were both fine, did them at the gym which is definitely booming. I love the New Year crowd at the gym! I mean, to a certain extent, it's all very positive and hopeful. People declaring their new control over themselves and their will-power. I just wish that the boom would continue all year, for their sake, and everyone's health insurance premiums. But, inevitably, the crowds will die down by mid-February to March. I guess the gyms don't care because they lock people into contracts in Janaury, so they've already got their money. But it would be nice to have more company at the gym in March and April, the desolate months. Hey, at least I won't have to wait for a treadmill. On the other hand, let's declare 2007 the year of the gym!!! Instead of January 2007 being the month of the New Year's revolution, let's keep ourselves and everyone going all year long. Maybe I'll start a program and get a late night infomercial, who wants to be in a studio audience?


Ok, so that stuff up there is a little wacky but hey, I'm just doing some stream of concious, back to running. I've got to start keeping an eye on things right now. I'm almost halfway through and starting to develope some "issues." My shins are getting a bit tight, not full on splits, but tight. That calls for more stretching. Also, my toes are taking a beating. I have lost skin on the top of toes, gotten blisters, callouses, and such. So, I've got to start utilizing the mole skin more, and keeping an eye on those suckers. Noreen warned me that some of the runners in her family have lost nails before, yikes. Then I couldn't get a pedicure in the spring :-) None the less, I guess this is actually OK news seeing as though I don't have any serious injuries that have hindered my training. I just have to keep monitoring the body and taking those rest days even more seriously.
What is nice is my fitness level. I did those two 4-milers the last two days, and it felt like nothing, seriously. I didn't feel like I'd warmed up, yet. Obviously, it takes effort, but my legs were just beginning to get going. My mind was restless, but I was in the gym which always makes me antsy anyway. After how this weekend went, I'm really excited for 15 miles this week, I hope the snow holds off a bit though. That might be pretty, but I doubt it's fun.
I've been thinking about the people I'm running for a bit more lately, it being post-holiday winter. You know how after the holidays slow down, we get back into our routines, whether you see that as bad or good? Well, for me, it's usually a bit of a relief, no more travelling and I can finally breath. These kids usually have a lot of excitement during the holidays, even being in the shelters. The non-profits and volunteers usually have parties, and lots of wonderful people donate gifts, and generally people try to get these kids into a holiday spirit and give them as nice a holiday as possible. But, now it's back to reality, and while I don't want to pity anyone, that's just disrespectful, I think that has to be hard for the kids(and the parents too). Because now, it's much easier to focus on their surroundings and begin to see shelter life as a routine, long-term thing. I don't know, maybe I'm just rambling, but I've been thinking about it, and I've decided it can't be an easy time. So, I urge you to drop by a soup kitchen, or a shelter, if you can, and give a smile, listen to a story. Just once, because that smile or that story might help that person or family get through some winter gloom that we can't even begin to understand. OK, said my peace.
P.S.- If you'd like to help me and the amazing kids that Horizons for Homeless Children serves, please click the widget in the right hand corner of this blog(if you can't see it, go to http://johnybostonmarathon.chipin.com/boston-marathon-for-horizons-for-homeless-children). Every little bit helps! All gifts go directly to HHC, and they are a 501c3 non-profit, so much of it is tax deductible. Check out their site for more info on that, and just check out their site in general. Ok, thanks.

HHC Fact:
Compared with low-income housed children, homeless children experience more health problems, developmental delays, increased anxiety, depression, behavioral problems, and lower educational achievement.(Source: National Center on Family Homelessness, 1999).
