Well, apparently it's 12 degrees outside with a 7 below windchill, thank goodness it's a rest day! Went for 7 mile run last night(for those of you following along, yes it should have been 4, but due to scheduling issues, I missed the Wed run so I switched for the longer one last night) and my face and backside froze, but the legs and upper body were fine. Enough about the weather, though.
I was reminded yesterday of why I love running so much. It's a release, of everything. I came home anxious about fundraising, about getting into law school, where Noreen and I will live next year, money, you name it. I went out, and within the first mile it was gone. It all went away! All the stress, all the anxiety, even thoughts about it. Then I settled in, worked some stuff through my head for fundrasing, then I just focused on the physical. I focused on my footsteps, was my heel hitting first, how was I rolling through the stride, was I hitting mid-sole too much. I thought about my breath, was it deep enough, on what step count was I breathing, how often. Eventually, I just stopped thinking all together and ran. Team sports are amazing and develop some great skills, but you always have to think, the same with skill sports. But with basic, human activity sports, like swimming, running, even biking(kind of) once you settle in and the body takes over, you can let the mind go. I kind of start to understand what all that zen and meditation stuff is about. And since I cannot sit still for very long, running is a great way for me to meditate!
Well, it's the weekend again with a 7 and 14 mile run coming up. 14 miles is the longest I think I will have ever run in my life. So, full disclosure, I'm a bit scared about it. I'm sure I am physically up to the challenge, and luckily it will have warmed up a bit by then, just a little anxious. Maybe the nervous energy will help, who knows? It's kind of like when you do anything for the first time.
Have a great weekend! And, thanks for all your support.
