So, officially, I have now run 200 miles in my training, the 14 miles today sealed the deal. So, basically, I've run to the Bronx in NYC, by Thursday I'll be in Manhattan(Everyone in NYC better be ready for my arrival). On a serious note, it feels good to hit a milestone like this and it's kind of strange to realize that I have about 400 to go before this adventure is over.
The run today was actually pretty nice. The weather was agreeable, and after the snow melted a bit, it was really easy to run. I did start to get a bit chilly after mile 10, but I think that's just when the heat equilibrium in my layers of clothes gave way to the effect of the cold chilling my sweat, which I'm sure you all wanted to know about. I tried something new today, walk breaks. Basically the theory goes that by taking breaks intermittenly to walk you don't lose much time(about 15 seconds per minute of walking versus running) and you allow your running muscles to rest by using different groups to walk. It worked out very well. Of course being slightly pig-headed, I didn't follow the directions to a T. Instead of walking 1 minute for every mile, I just walked a minute or so every 4 miles. Still, I noticed a big difference in my energy levels at the end and it kind of tricked my body into hitting that 2nd, 3rd, and 4th wind faster. I'll keep toying with it on my longer runs. In a marathon, it should actually make me faster overall since the time walking is made up for by how much extra energy you have in the last 6-8 miles where most people tend to fall off. None the less, I'm still sore right now, 2 hours after the run, but no pain, no gain, right?
Well, my lovely wife needs to do some homework, so I'll bid you all adieu. Until next time, have a good one and take care.
Random Fact: Approximately 500,000 thousand children will experience homelessness this year in the United States. (source: Urban Institute by way of HHC)
