Well, my posting average has dropped considerably, weird. To be honest there isn't all that much going on to write about, plus I don't have anything specific to track, like my training. Mostly, I've just been riding out my job to get through it, living for the weekend. A couple recent things, I got my laptop, I read Harry Potter(and started on it again), and went away to NYC for a weekend.
Harry Potter was awesome, but I'm not gonna spoil it for anyone, so e-mail me if you want to talk about it. The laptop is phenomenal, Dell have really upgraded their graphics, but I have to get used to this whole vista thing, and then there's Office 2007. But, that's what the rest of the summer is for.
This past weekend was absolutely nuts! Noreen and I went to NYC with the dogs because her firend Eric from college(and in our wedding) was coming in to spend his birthday weekend with her friend Stephen from college(also in the wedding). So we went down. And it was college revisited for sure, late nights, hijinks, and fun! I'm really glad I went down. Noreen spent a weekend in Chicago with them last summer after the wedding, but I stayed behind, there was a certain new addition to the family to look after.
Anyway, so I've never really had much time with these two most very important people from her life. Noreen has met pretty much all of my really good friends from growing up and college. She's even spent time, and really bonded with some of them, including my closest friend. So, it always felt a little weird that I hadn't spent much time with these guys. I have spent loads of time with Kelly, her best friend growing up, which is great.
This weekend afforded the opporunity to do just that with Eric and Stephen. We stayed up late, them talking like old friends, me talking with them like brand new friends(where you really just want to know everything about the new person). There was a lot of fun had by all. At times, I did feel a bit uncomfortable. There were a lot of close friends from college who dropped in for the weekend, and that dynamic was a bit intimidating. I imagine it's the same when my old Brooklyn housemates and I are around new people. I didn't know all the inside jokes, I didn't know all the relationship history, or the friend status, and so forth. So, unfortunately, I got a bit socially insecure/anxious at times. When that happens, I tend to overcompsensate and some of my more annoying traits come out, like dominating conversation, self-promotion. It's stuff that I didn't entirely develop of my own making(learned behavior you know), but I am aware of it and it is my responsibity to keep it in check. I guess this weekend, especially since these people are so important to Noreen, I really wanted people to be impressed and like me, and accept me into their circle. Believe me, there was a short, dark period in my life where this was much worse, but I guess it's always there, ready to just kick in when my insecurity levels get to high. Have to keep that in mind in future, esp. when these types of things could affect more than really nice people who are willing to forgive.
Well, I thought I didn't have anything to share, and here I go possible sharing too much. Oh well, it's good to talk about it. Enough introspection for one post, have a good one! Oh, and my last day at work is Friday, hooray!
