So, I definitely feel better today. Last night, I went on a 4 mile run, with no interruption. There was a bit of soreness, but I got through the whole thing without stopping, and I felt I could have gone farther(but I wasn't gonna risk it). Also, I got some much needed rest and sleep. So, two things with exceptional restorative properties. The run was definitely a big boost to my confidence and it felt so good to be moving again. Also, I have Physical Therapy today which kind of gets me pumped cuz I know it only helps me. Plus, I got to throw the ball around with my dogs for awhile cuz the weather was so nice, can't beat that!
This is not to discard the thoughts expressed yesterday. I just read a pretty amazing book about endurance running(I can't remember the title, dumb, I know). It's about an ultramarathon in Death Valley and the writer's trials a tribulations along the way. One overarching theme is the cyclical nature of the athlete and of life, you have good and bad, up and down. The challenge is in contantly moving, not whether it's the fastest, the prettiest, or the best, but just always moving. And, the value of the experience and the challenge comes in both the good and the bad. It is obviously philosophical and applies to many things, but it gave me a new perspective on distance running, specifically. The funny thing for me is that he kind of ridicules marathons as not being enough, not outright, but the sentiment is there. I agree on many things, but that one I have to differ with him on for now :-)
Thanks for the kind words from those who left comments, and Frank, thanks to you I may stick with water. Have a great day!
