Well, it's official...I'm injured. My fall on Saturday apparently created or uncovered a worse issue than I first thought. It's still my knee. As you know, I ran Tuesday, and felt great, no issue. But, 2.5 miles into my 8-mile run yesterday, things were not going well. There was pain and tightness on the outside and just below my knee. It wasn't incapacitating, but to keep it from getting worse, I stopped and walked the mile home in the cold. The reason it's official is that I'm going to my PCP to get a referral for an Orthopedist, tomorrow. If you know me, you know that's serious. All dramatics aside, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared.
On the positive side though, there are a couple things to keep hope about. I have no pain with normal activity, i.e. walking, standing, sitting. Last night it was stiff for most of the evening, I iced it and took Ibuprophen. This morning it was fine, I can balance on it by itself, bend, twist. My only problems with use seem to be stairs and running. Also, I've worked so hard, and trained consistently, so my base should be really good if I have to take a bit of time off. I just won't be running as hard or fast when I come back. Hopefully, this doctor tomorrow will find that it's just inflamed or something, and I need some cortisone or rest or something. We'll see, please keep your fingers crossed.
I am; however, going to keep going to the gym and cross-training like crazy, just no knee involvement. That way, I can try to keep my fitness level up and maybe enhance some aspects of my running, like core strength. I'll also tell you this, I'm so motivated personally and from helping these kids, that I'd do this marathon on crutches if I had to, so don't worry about that!
In the field of good news, we're almost halfway there to my goal of $3500 and really close to my commitment of $3000. Also, a couple local businesses have donated things for me to auction off down the road, at a to be named event. Pretty awesome! So, while I'm sidelined from training, let's all push the other aspect of this thing, fundraising! I know we can do it!
UPDATE: I have a doctor appointment with my primary physician tomorrow, and an Ortho/Sports Medicine consult on Monday. We'll get this fixed and me back on the road in no time!
