So, this morning, Noreen and I had a training course at Horizons' headquarters in Roxbury, MA. It was really cool! They make an effort to continually train the Playspace Activity Leaders so we have fresh things to do with the children, so we share ideas with eachother, and so we're reminded of past trainings. This one started with a brunch, I love free food :-) Then we had a speaker from Head Start and she spoke about important elements of play for children. It was interesting to hear her talk about the homeless child population, specifically. One thing really stuck with me, she said these kids have survival skills but not social skills yet. And that is so true, usually by about 3 to 4, kids should begin to develope social skills, but these kids are moving around so much, focused on where they'll be, what they'll eat, who they'll see, that they don't have time for that very important development. Even with the kids we see, they are older than 3 to 4, but still don't have developed social skills, and definitely not at their age level. That's one of our tasks as PALs, to help with that. And, in the longer term view, you see how important it is. If one doesn't develope social skills, usually through play, as a child, how do you make it through school, get a job, function in society. It becomes very difficult, possibly debillitating. It's this kind of thing that puts Horizon's mission in perspective, it is not just about putting a smile on a child's face that moment, but actually working to improve some of the ills in society as a whole.
Then we split into groups to learn new activities. One of them was Yoga for children. Now before you fall on the ground thinking of toddlers in tights, with their designer Yoga mat bags strapped to their backs, it really was useful. This activity really helps kids to develope motor/balance skills, as well as an excellent release and redirection of energy. Plus, it'll help me get some stretching in. Then we learned some drama type games from the one and only Noreen Yarwood. She did a great job teaching the group, and it was pretty funny to see "regular" people getting all silly and active with the games I used to play in class at BU. We also learned some really cool arts and crafts to do with the kids like making play-doh, masks, musical instruments, hand-weaving, and much more. It was great because I feel a lot more confident about going into the house with options for the next time I volunteer. Overall, a great experience!
I have an 8 mile run today that I'm about to take off for, and then it's 18 tomorrow. I would lie if I said I wasn't nervous after last week, but it's warmed up a bit and a some of the ice has gone away, so I feel better about it. And, after how well things went during the week with training, I'm also pretty optimistic. I know that's a duality there, but that's the way it is!
And one last thing, the $1000 challenge is still in effect. We have 5 days to go and about $400 left. If you want to see me in a dress(an idea), or some other compromising photo, all over the internet, the time is now to give to Horizons. Remember, if we hit the target by March 1, the highest donor gets to choose an embarassing photo of me to be posted on this blog and on myspace. So, please give if you can and pass this on to anyone you think might want to help, or see me look like an idiot. Thanks to all who have already given, and those who will, you are truly amazing!
