Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ah, the treadmill...

So on my easy 3 mile days, I usually go to the gym and run it on the treadmill. This is fine and all, it gets me inside instead of running in the cold all the time, plus it mixes it up a bit. However, I find that I get bored much quicker. I mean there's only so many times I can attempt to read the closed captioning for Imus or Good Morning America without going blind.

Then, of course, there are the treadmill races. I've done this for awhile, but didn't fully recognize it till my friend Frank pointed out something similar on his blog. This comes down in two forms. First off, you race the treadmill itself, or rather the timer and yourself. I keep pushing up the speed to see if I can run maybe 5 seconds faster, or something, when all is said and done. Kind of stupid.

But, then there is the more insipid version, racing the people next to you. Now, I could chalk this all up to competitive nature and all, but that's a form of denial. This type of race probably lends itself more to ego-stroking. See, what you do is peek over at the treadmills next to you and see what speed people are at. Invariably, with me, other people are going slower. Now, this does not mean that I'm a better athlete, it probably means I'm going too fast. Either way, it's a guilty pleasure that helps pass the time, except for this morning when the woman next to me had a magazine in front of her speedometer, curses!

Anyway, all is well, and hmmmmmmm...still waiting for that first donation(wink, wink, hint, hint). Have a great day!